Saturday, April 12, 2008

Identity Theft Is Not A Joke Jim!

So yesterday while I was at work I kept getting these strange phone calls from strange numbers. None of them left messages and I had like 18 of them. I finally answered one and they wanted to follow up on a lead they had received about credit repair. I asked them what information they had on me and it was my full name, phone number, address at my old apartment in Rexburg, and this random email address. But they had not charged a card, they had only received the lead. By this time I was really suspicious but didn't really have anything to go on.

So then today I got a few more phone calls about verifying information I requested about a work at home package. Well, I don't want to work at home and certainly wouldn't pay $9.95 to learn about it. So then I called my bank and I had 20 pending charges. Only 2 of which were over $10.00. So basically they got my number and decided to charge it up a dollar at a time. Who ever did this wasn't the brightest crayon in the box because if they had given another phone number, not mine, I wouldn't have figured this out for several days! So I guess I should be thankful that they are stupid!


Here is the link to one of my favorite office clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJC9l1vyH0&feature=related
(I hope you enjoy the Spanish subtitles!)

2 comments:

Hey Ho it's Ashleigh Noel said...

It effects millions of americans each year- dwight schrute.

Cori said...

Holy Cow, that really sucks that happened! I am always afraid to use my debit card because I swear someone is going to use it without me knowing one day. That is why I am so glad that I work at a bank. I check my account like 5 times a day! I hope everything is going really well!!! Other than the fact that someone was mooching off of your card and you got a huge scratch on your car a few days ago!