Sunday, June 20, 2010

"R Wii There Yet?"









This past weekend I completed the Wasatch Back! It was CrAzY! We left at 3:00am on Friday morning so we could be in Logan at 5:00am and Runner 1 could start at 6:15. I only got an hour of sleep and was so tired. I was also nervous about my fist leg. It was 6.7 miles and classified as hard. I started my run at 7:30 and my ankle was aching as soon as I started running luckily after a few blocks I felt great! I was running 2 min/mile faster then I planned. Everything was AwEsOmE! Logan is gorgeous and I was having a great time running, listening to my music and admiring the scenery. Then BAM! I fell. Flat on my face. I really don't know what happened. I know that I was running near the edge of the shoulder and the soft gravel shoulder and I might have stepped wrong.

As soon as I landed my thought I need to get up fast before this starts to hurt. My shoe fell off so I needed to grab that and then these people from another team helped bandage me up at their van because my elbow was bleeding. I was starting to black-out as I was standing there because I was in shock. My team was at the exchange so I had no choice but to keep running the 3.3 miles I had left. I think the shock and adrenaline helped me get there. I was so embarrassed! I mean really? who falls like that? 80 year old women walking around the block... not people running races. I haven't fallen since October 9, 2007 when I sprained my ankles and couldn't run my first marathon. Basically my running curse is getting worse and I am reconsidering my retirement....

The next leg was 3 miles that night and it wasn't too bad. I was still shaky from fall but I made it through it and then the next day after 4 hrs of sleep I ran the last 3.3 mile of my legs. Then I got to relax but I really wanted to shower and sleep but that came later. Our team finished at 8:15pm on Saturday. So 38hrs... We weren't fast but we finished! I am glad I did it and would do it again with a few different people!

3 comments:

Laura said...

You are awesome, Suzy! I don't know that I would even dare such a thing. Maybe though . . . You'd be my inspiration if I did!

Brianne and Brandon said...

Hi Suzy this is Brianne (Woolstenhulme). I think it is so awesome you ran in that race. I am sorry you fell that looked really painful. I love running and wish I lived in UT so I could run it next year with you. If you feel like running a race on the beach look me up. I need a partner.

Rosey said...

Ragnars are the coolest EVER! Next year come out here and do the So Cal one with me!! Perfect! I am so sorry about your fall! What? Craziness! But you are a total champ and finished anyway which I am not even suprised in the slightest! Love you! Miss you!